Monday, February 25, 2013

Pretty Is As Pretty Does...

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard my mama tell me "pretty is as pretty does" through the years I would be a rich lady.  I can remember standing in front of my mirror putting the final touches of makeup on, getting ready for a big moment (prom...) and hearing my mama tell me I was beautiful BUT "pretty is as pretty does".  As I got older, I thought I understood what she meant.  If I was nice to people, helped them in their time of need, went to church on Sunday, paid my bills on time, etc, then surely that would make me a good person and that goodness would shine.  All of those things are true, but the goodness or "pretty" comes from the inside and works it's way out.  It is important to be a good and kind person and help in our communities, and attend church.  However, the goodness comes from our Lord and Savior and He alone makes us "pretty".  When He is filling us up, we can't help but be beautiful people and His love for us in turn causes us to love others.  We aren't doing the good things for ourselves to make us "pretty", we are doing good so others might see Christ in us and hopefully will come to know Him as we do.  I'm thankful for my mama giving me those early pearls of wisdom and I'm thankful for my Savior for giving those pearls an even bigger meaning for me.  Our purpose on this earth is to love others and help them to meet Jesus.  When you think about His life here on this earth, that's what He did.  He loved.  Of course I like to put on my makeup and fix my hair and hear my husband tell me how pretty I am, but more importantly, I want to hear my Lord tell me that I'm pretty because He is proud of the person I am on the inside.  I hope ya'll have a great rest of your day and I hope I've been an encouragement to you today.  Love ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment